Hematology24 Apr 2022
The Hematology lab is equipped with 2 fully automated 5 part complete blood count analyzers Beckmen Coulters, analyzing more than 120 samples daily. The coagulation profiles, fibrinogen assay, and factor assays, all done with the Stago machine, along with the hematopathologist’s inference helps in solving various bleeding abnormalities. The availability of flow cytometry contributes to the workup of leukemia cases. The various hematological parameters tested in this laboratory include the following –
- Hemogram is done in automated blood cell counters.
- ESR, Reticulocyte count, Absolute eosinophil count, and peripheral smear study.
- Prothrombin time (PT)/ Activated partial thromboplastin time (APTT)-, D Dimer, Fibrinogen, Factor VIII
- Parasites: MP, microfilaria.
- Special Tests
- Bone marrow aspiration/ trephine biopsy.
- Bone marrow Iron stain.
- Cytochemical stain: MPO, PAS.
Tests were done on a flow cytometer
- Acute leukemia panel
- Lymphoma panel (clad)
- Lymphocyte subset analysis
- MNC and CD34 count
Respectfully called MVR, the late MV Raghavan was one of the revolutionary leaders of the Communist movement in Kerala. Born in an ordinary family in Pappinissery, Kannur, his political life began in his early teens. He served two terms as Minister of Co-operation and Ports in Kerala during 1991-1996 and 2001-2006. MVR revolutionized the co-operative sector by taking the people-powered movement to healthcare and education in the State. MV Raghavan realized the role of the co-operative movement in social development and job creation and he was instrumental in setting up various institutions in the state.