The Department of Pathology provides comprehensive diagnostic services with an emphasis on accuracy, precision and prompt reporting to our patients thereby helping and guiding the clinicians in proper patient management.
Different Sections of Pathology are:
- Surgical Pathology
- Clinical Pathology
The samples are tested in the Pathology Department and reports are made online through the hospital network using the Laboratory Information System.
The department is located on the 1st floor of MVRCCRI with easy accessibility to all the clinicians.
Timing of lab
Hematology and Clinical Pathology 24 hours
Surgical Pathology 9 AM to 6 PM Monday to Saturday
We accept samples/slides/paraffin blocks for special stains, IHC & review as part of the referral facility and provide a second opinion on them
All the Labs are most modernized and well-equipped with skilled personnel.
Quality assured test results are generated by proper validation and internal quality control program. This will help the pathologist to give a precise diagnosis. This is again supported by external quality assurance programs (EQAS) on a regular basis for the techniques in general, IHC procedures, and reporting and diagnosis of cases that are submitted to us.
- ISHTM AIIMS, New Delhi
- CMC Vellore
- TATA Cytopathology Mumbai
- AIIMS, New Delhi
- NCG EQAS with Tata Mumbai
The Department of Pathology is composed of outstanding faculty of 7pathologist, We provide diagnostic services to patients within our hospital system and numerous patients regionally, nationally, and internationally.
Pathologists and technical personnel are not only knowledgeable but highly experienced in their area of expertise and embrace a team approach to quality care, education, and research.
The Histopathology division is excelling itself due to the presence of a state-of-the-art histopathology lab aided with automation and availability of special techniques like immunohistochemistry.
By adopting a system-wise pattern of reporting in the department, the pathologists are fine-tuned to excel in their chosen field. They are getting national training for the same. A very efficient clinicopathological correlation and discussions has been put into place is streamlining the study, and is helping the patient to get the best of treatment.
By using a unique frozen section technique, rapid diagnoses can be made allowing for immediate decisions regarding intraoperative and postoperative patient management. This is provided within a short span of 20 minutes
- Histopathological Examination and Diagnosis for all types of biopsies and radical specimens.
- Frozen Sections are done on the Cryostat machine (Cryo3) and providing reports within 20 minutes intraoperatively.
- Special Tests
- Histochemistry – Reticulin, Masson’s Trichrome, Periodic Acid Schiff (PAS), Silver Methenamine, AFB (Acid-fast bacilli), Verhoeff Van Geison, Perl’s, Asian blue, and Congo red
- Immunohistochemistry- Using a large panel of antibodies we are providing comprehensive immunohistochemistry to aid our histopathological diagnosis & providing therapeutic & prognostic significance for patient management.
With a dedicated team of pathologists, diagnosis is reached for material obtained by fine-needle aspiration and exfoliation. The cytocentrifuge, in this department, is an important tool in processing the cerebrospinal fluid in leukemia/lymphoma patients.
Tests were done
- FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology).
- Exfoliative cytology including PAP smears and body fluids, sputum, bladder and bronchial brushings.
The Hematology lab is equipped with 2 fully automated 5 part complete blood count analyzers Beckmen Coulters, analyzing more than 120 samples daily. The coagulation profiles, fibrinogen assay, and factor assays, all done with the Stago machine, along with the hematopathologist’s inference helps in solving various bleeding abnormalities. The availability of flow cytometry contributes to the workup of leukemia cases. The various hematological parameters tested in this laboratory include the following –
- Hemogram is done in automated blood cell counters.
- ESR, Reticulocyte count, Absolute eosinophil count, and peripheral smear study.
- Prothrombin time (PT)/ Activated partial thromboplastin time (APTT)-, D Dimer, Fibrinogen, Factor VIII
- Parasites: MP, microfilaria.
- Special Tests
- Bone marrow aspiration/ trephine biopsy.
- Bone marrow Iron stain.
- Cytochemical stain: MPO, PAS.
Tests were done on a flow cytometer
- Acute leukemia panel
- Lymphoma panel (clad)
- Lymphocyte subset analysis
- MNC and CD34 count
- Urine routine/microscopic
- Stool, occult blood
- Body fluids-cell count
Respectfully called MVR, the late MV Raghavan was one of the revolutionary leaders of the Communist movement in Kerala. Born in an ordinary family in Pappinissery, Kannur, his political life began in his early teens. He served two terms as Minister of Co-operation and Ports in Kerala during 1991-1996 and 2001-2006. MVR revolutionized the co-operative sector by taking the people-powered movement to healthcare and education in the State. MV Raghavan realized the role of the co-operative movement in social development and job creation and he was instrumental in setting up various institutions in the state.