Speech & Swallow Clinic
The Speech-swallow clinic is composed of:
- A multidisciplinary team committed to the diagnosis, research, and treatment of patients with swallowing disorders.
- Comprehensive and sophisticated facilities to help patients with swallowing difficulties.
- A clinic for evaluating and treating patients
The Clinic offers a range of diagnostic procedures to determine the cause of swallowing problems. Tests depend on each patient-specific problem and on the results of a comprehensive interview and examination.
The evaluation may include:
- Detailed subjective evaluation of swallowing for all patients reporting to the dysphagia clinic complaining swallowing difficulty.
- Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) to assess the laryngeal function when the patient is swallowing.
- Rigid endoscopy to assess laryngeal structure and function.
- Video Fluoroscopy Swallow Study (VFSS) assess the motor function of the upper digestive tract.
- Bedside swallowing evaluation for all admitted patients having difficulty in swallowing.
Rehabilitation may include:
- Swallowing therapy for all clients requiring rehabilitation of swallowing which includes.
- Rehabilitative swallowing therapy techniques like oromotor exercise, thermal stimulation, diet modifications, postural correction, shaker exercises.
- Compensatory swallowing therapy techniques like swallowing maneuvers, swallowing postures, prosthetic management, medical and surgical management.
- Progress monitoring and follow up sessions when required.
- Voice rehabilitation for post laryngectomy patients
Indication for referral include:
- Head & neck cancer patients
- Stroke patients
- Neurosurgery patients
- Progressive neurological disease
- Tracheostomised patients
- Nutritional concerns
- Gastro-esophageal reflux/vomiting
- Naso-gastric or gastrostomy problems
- Swallowing in coordination
- Chronic lung disease
- Recurrent aspiration and chest infections
- Associated osteoporosis
- Post head injury chest infections
- Sensory deficit abnormalities
- Swallowing disorders for liquids and /or solids
Respectfully called MVR, the late MV Raghavan was one of the revolutionary leaders of the Communist movement in Kerala. Born in an ordinary family in Pappinissery, Kannur, his political life began in his early teens. He served two terms as Minister of Co-operation and Ports in Kerala during 1991-1996 and 2001-2006. MVR revolutionized the co-operative sector by taking the people-powered movement to healthcare and education in the State. MV Raghavan realized the role of the co-operative movement in social development and job creation and he was instrumental in setting up various institutions in the state.